Saturday, January 23, 2010

start spreading the news...

When I was in junior high, I dreamed of going to New York. I had a notebook filled solely with plans for my someday New York vacation. Well, that came true when a few of us bailed half-way through the bus ride on our planned Boston trip and spent a weekend in magical NYC.

Highlights:

Rockefeller Center
The Manhattan LDS Temple. Right in the middle of the city, it's amazing to think of the peace that comes next door to a Chinese restaurant.


The Metropolitan Museum of Art. This place blew my mind. First, I relived "The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankwiler". Second, that stuff is just so old and in such good condition. How does that happen? This temple was built from actual remains of 4000 year old Egyptian stones. crazy.
Times Square. In the rain. total sensory overload.
The MoMA. modern art. Matisse's "Red Studio", Salvador Dali, "Starry Night", and so much more. Including this goat. we thought it was weird until we learned it was by Picasso, which made it so much cooler. Dylan's Candy Bar. celebrities come here to fill up a jar of their favorite candy for the wall. it smelled so good. trivia--their entire playlist has some kind of reference to candy.
Phantom on BROADWAY. the music, the acting, the sets were all amazing. From that first chord as the chandelier rose from the stage to the ceiling, I was hooked. so so good.

5th Avenue shops
Canal Street. THE place for fake purses. (excuse me...you want handbag?)
amazing food. everywhere.

but there's still so much to see.
Thanks for a great weekend, New York. I'll see you again in February!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

oh sigh. it looks like so much fun! and how are you not freezing to death?!?!

Janice Richardson said...

I love reading about the amazing things you are up to this semester! Keep the updates and pictures coming! (And phone calls...we love to hear from you!)